A Look at Crooked Lake and Oden Island through Google MyMaps

 


Google MyMaps was quite user friendly and, after watching the tutorial video, I was able to create the basic map featured above. There are three layers to this map, including Lakeside Communities and Lake Features (both natural and man-made). A third layer includes Oden Island Nature Preserve and my house as two key reference points. 

Edits were easy to make as well, and I can already see opportunity to further update the markers. For example, I'll be on Crooked Lake over the fourth of July holiday and will capture additional photos to add to the markers, providing an in-real time glimpse of my area of study. 

I look forward to exploring other mapping tools, as well. Unfortunately, I was not able to download DIVA-GIS or the other examples mentioned given my only computer is owned by my company and I need to receive admin rights to download the software.  The ArcGIS tools seem interesting, given there are a variety of specific applications, including a version for Indoor planning, as well as for Urban areas. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oden Island: What, Where, and Why

What is Biodiversity? And, Why Does it Matter?