Oden Island: What, Where, and Why

Oden Island is a small 50 acre island sitting in Crooked Lake in Conway, Michigan. The island itself is a nature preserve, filled with old growth trees and wetlands. 

Source: Little Traverse Bay Conservancy 


This area is important to me as my family (my extended family, including second and third cousins) has lived in this area for generations. While I grew up in Southern Indiana, we spent our summers and most winter breaks on Crooked Lake. As a child, I spent summers playing in the woods, trying to avoid leeches while I looked for Petoskey Stones on the beach, and taking the boat out to the middle of the lake for a swim or anchoring on the sand bar.

I remember when both Asian Carp and Zebra Mussels came to the lake, and my parents telling us how to be on the watch for both given fears of Asian Carp jumping out while someone was skiing, etc. behind a boat, or the deep cuts Zebra Mussels can make on toes and feet. To this day, one of my most favorite things to do (and what truly signals "summer" for me) is noticing the different wildflowers that have poked up in the woods and near the shore by our house (my favorite of which is Forget-Me-Nots).

This also feels like a perfect area of study, as I'm fortunate to be able to spend time there this summer, so can get out and survey with my family and friends! 

Source: Google Maps


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Biodiversity? And, Why Does it Matter?